Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I want to be a "normal" mom.

I'm realizing some things lately. Things that never really mattered that much to me, till now. My kids have always had friends, and I've done some play dates here and there. But I am finding myself in a world in the last 2 years where, I can't now. My son, Destin, takes up probably 50% of more of my day all on his own. Keeping him from breaking things, hitting his sister, from running off, ect. He has nothing in his room except a bed. Why? Because he destroys everything. I don't believe he just has AD/HD. I have talked with other parents of children with AD/HD, and none of them have said that their child is violent toward people, and things, and even themselves.

I have tried to take my kids on outings, events, play dates, and just regular get togethers not geared toward kids. I can't do it. I cannot talk to anyone because my kids will go bonkers. Destin will run away, or do something that will make everyone look at me and go "what kind of mom lets her kid do that?" I can't go to play dates because it is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting to try to keep an eye on him at every second to make sure he is behaving well, and also try to keep an eye on Shaelyn. And to do something I need to do with kids? Grocery shopping, running errands... If it involves having to get them out of the car, forget it.

Making friends would probably be a lot easier if I were able to have some kind of life outside everything that revolves around my kids. I love them dearly, I do. I would do anything for them. But there are so many things I have yet to be able to do because of some of the struggles I've had with Destin. It's not simple. I can't just put him in a time out, or even spank him (he laughs). Things like that don't stick with kids who have special needs. It's a joke. We do reinforcements, but it only works to a certain point because Destin is so strong willed.

I just feel like a miserable, cooped up, lonely mom. I want a life outside being stuck at home with my kids 24/7. I need to get away once in a while without them, and not just to run an errand. I want to have a lunch date with a friend, or maybe a mani/pedi day. I am blessed to be able to stay home with my kids, and help them to grow, learn, and thrive... But I also need a break, to cope with all of the things that I haven't been able to do, that other "normal" (what is normal, anyway?) moms are able to do.

One day, I might be able to go to a park, and sit on the bench and watch my kids play without the fear of him running off, or hurting another kid. One day. Yes, I know this is putting myself out there for judgement, but I'm hoping in putting this out there, maybe someone will be able to relate to me, and offer some advice, or encouragement.

3 comments:

  1. Stacey u just described my jacob too a tee! I have faith that will get easier. I have times where I need to just get away. It is very difficult to have play dates and hang out with friends and let the kids play for fear he will run off, hurt someone or hurt himself. You are not alone.

    -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certain things are getting easier as he gets older, but certain things are getting harder, as well. I think we're going to put him in soccer this fall since he's old enough now. I think organized sports will help him a lot. He does great with other people, but because he's comfortable with his Dad and I, he tests us ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel as far as not being able to do things without your kids and having to keep an eye on one of them at all times, just in a different way. I have to be on top of trinity all the time for fear of her wandering off or running into stuff so I never have a moment to relax like you. I really wish I lived closer so we could help each other out. I feel like we go through a lot of similar struggles and would be a great help to each other. I'm always here for you if you need to talk or vent or whatever! I love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete